Dating Tip of the Month Dating Etiquette Eye contact is crucial when dating so it is good etiquette to provide as much attention as possible to your date. They should feel that they are the only person in the room. If you use the date as an excuse for general partying you have failed!
General Dating Tips
1. Ask Your Date Powerful Questions Asking powerful questions is important in finding out about the other person. For example, you can use words such as what, where and how. These kind of words cannot lead to a simple yes or no answer. Instead they give the other person the opportunity to give a more comprehensive answer. Apart from that you may need to ask more specific questions at certain times. For example, if she says ‘I’ll call you soon’ you may want to ask something like ‘When should I expect a call’. Asking for more specific information will avoid misunderstandings!
2. Reality Checks Before you judge the other person, be aware that your beliefs and values are based on your reality, which doesn’t mean your beliefs and values are right or wrong. We are all different and your date’s beliefs and values may not match yours. Knowing and understanding this will make you more flexible and understanding of others, including your dates.
3. Avoid Assumptions Unfortunately, assuming is something we do a lot. So, instead of thinking ‘She/he is probably doing this to blah, blah, blah…’, ask! It’s better to find out than to do guess work. And, if the other person doesn’t seem to respond to you straight away, it doesn’t mean that he or she isn’t interested. Perhaps they just need to get to know you better before they demonstrate any kind of interest.
4. Build Rapport with Your Date Rapport is the presence of trust, harmony and co-operation in a relationship. If you have rapport with a person you will make them feel like your ally, your partner. You can create rapport by creating commonalitites! You can do this by matching their language, breathing, gestures, facial expression and voice.
5. Be Confident Confidence can open many doors for you. When you are confident people will have more trust in you and your abilities. Even, if you don’t consider yourself to be a confident person….ACT AS IF YOU ARE!